Monday, July 5, 2010

First Incendia 1...now Atlantis 1...the saga continues...



My Latest Painting- Atlantis 1
It's official... it's a series. Sniff... my first one. It's so cute. So full of potential. My palms are sweating at the potential failure. You see, a series is hard. A series demands a certain amount of consistency. I am not consistent. Not at all... Nope... not even a little bit. Anything that carries over from one painting to another is sheer subconscious or sheer luck depending on who's looking. But now I'm attempting it. It's nerve wracking. Crap. 
So...
My first attempt at this painting failed miserably ( at a live painting of course... more embarrassing that way) and my intention was to show the before and after of a failed first attempt. However I became overzealous with the gesso... and painted over it before I took a picture. So instead,  I thought I might give a tiny glimpse into my process... if that's what one can call it. At least the process I am trying to implement for this series... that word again... ick!


 It all starts with a sketch... well, this one did cause I screwed the first one up so well. That's when I bother to work out the kinks before wasting more time. I am the very epitome of discipline...


Next I fling random color onto the canvas...


Next is a layer of abstract glazes... this is supposed to have a water feel so I chose to create a feeling of bubbles... well actually, Trevor, my husband decided bubbles as I suddenly panicked at the thought of a series and couldn't figure out what to do next.... Panic is an integral part of all my processes.


Then the final step... the silhouettes. This was the problem the first time. Unlike trees, I was unfamiliar as to how to take on the underwater plants. They had to balance well and be different... a much more complex composition as opposed to Incendia 1( the tree one for all of you who don't remember names...not unlike the artist herself ). As you can see...I stayed pretty close to the sketch but of course things need to change in paint. The balance changes with color and sometimes the art just wants it different.
Now for all of you out there who just tuned in to my blog and have no idea what the first one looked like from my last blog...Or for those who just can't imagine the two together in a ...nope not going to say the word again...
 Here they are side by side... 












Now it's time to do one another. And another. And I think I am going to throw up now. Maybe that'll be the next series. "Artist with Weak Stomache 1-13"

2 comments:

Amanda Koh said...

I love it! And I really, really wouldn't call your first one a failure - definitely NOT an embarrassment! Although - wow! What a cool design you put on this one! I love your new exploration..... don't let the idea of a "series" scare you- be open to whatever you want to do with the black foreground/colored background, and you can be as "different" as you want on each one! VERY COOL, my lady! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful post...I love it!!!