Sunday, July 18, 2010

Aero 1... the saga continues....


You would think by now I would stop being surprised by my inability to be consistent. That seems to be my signature in art... no signature at all. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to create several pieces of work at the same time only to have them look like they were painted by several hands and usually there is a sharp learning curve on each. And so Aero 1 was born.

I like it. 
I do.
But it's not the same as the other two. 
And I knew it going in. But I couldn't help myself.

I just couldn't.

'sigh'

Anyway... at least with this aberration I think I have figured out the way I will approach the next projects that might ensure a bit more consistency. 
It starts with the computer... the medium of choice for the modern illustrator. I've worked in illustration for years....(usually in a constant state of irritation that leads to violent fantasies of wanting to beat the so called art director with his or her own arm but that's beside the point) and I've picked up quite a love of Adobe. I find it uber-relaxing to create in Illustrator as it tends to inspire me into a visual poetry of a sort... a pairing down of the work into the most simplistic and elegant shapes. It turned out to be entirely necessary for the bubbles...who knew the little buggers would be such sticklers for perfection? So the sketch begins here with a simplifying of reality.
Then I took the time to work out the palette and gradient in Photoshop.

Then the fun began as I started to work out ways to make it interesting on the canvas.
I think that was what sold this whole technique for me. The marriage of planning and spontaneity.

Truth be told... I have an unnecessary fear of using the computer with painting. The man who calls himself my father is an artist too (the best one in the Midwest apparently, according to him, but that's beside the point) and he wholly relied on it for the better part of my childhood. I've always considered that the static, over-thought out work was a direct result of his computer usage. That alone has always scared me from relying on it too much. But I am starting to get over it. I will just try to find ways to keep the work fresh and spontaneous while adding a bit of structure. Turns out that it's the artist that creates the mediocrity... not the computer, who would have thought?

Anyway... I think this is the way I'm going to go from now on with this series. Illustrator will add a bit of consistency and discipline. Photoshop will help me suss out more interesting color and texture schemes.  And I will add the chaos in the painting process...my specialty. Maybe I might get a consistent series yet... maybe.... oh who knows... 'sigh'.

No comments: